I just subscribed to Phil’s weblog. He’s got some seriously cool ideas on using blogs for system communications. I’m looking at doign something similar for my websites. Hmmm.. Ideas, ideas, ideas.
My organization operates hundreds of servers in several data centers and a network that connects over 250 separate locations. One of the problems we have is status communication to various interested parties. Tonight I decided we should have a system status blog that uses categories with separate RSS feeds for various severity levels and systems. For the low price of $40/year we could have:[jarretthousenorth News]
How could you not like that?
- One easy spot to post status announcements, which would be ordered in exactly the right way.
- A web-based record of status.
- Multiple RSS feeds of the various systems and severity levels.
- Easy integration into the personalization feature of our intranet; RSS feeds would show up as gadget boxes for people who want them.
- The ability to easily subscribe to RSS feeds and digest them in various ways for people with special needs.